Skip to main content

This I Believe

I believe in something that most individuals would say is very cliche. I believe that everything happens for a reason. When I was 3 my dad made some poor decisions and went to jail, leaving my mom to struggle and make ends meet for 2 years until she met my sisters dad. My mom fell in love with my sisters dad, I finally had a father figure in my life, my family finally had a strong support system until they went through a bad breakup. My mom had to struggle to keep full custody of my sister, I had to watch her cry for hours because she didn't wanna  lose her baby girl.

Here we go again, we went back to struggling, back to living life one day at a time. We moved 10 times within a course of 3 years. There went days when I saw my mom cry, there were days when I wanted to cry. I tried comforting my mom and staying strong so my little sister wouldn't get upset. I had to go through seeing my mom work long hours and still coming home and cooking a nice meal for my sister and I. My family went through hard times for several years, we only had each other for comfort.

Years went by and my mom got a stable job as a Pre-K teacher, she got paid a decent amount and we finally moved into a house and have now been living in it for 3 years, the longest we've ever stayed in a house. Now a few years ago I always wondered why me? Why my family? Why do we have to go through the struggle everyday. Looking back at it, it has made my family stronger than ever. Today you would never be able to know that anyone in my family had to go through the struggle. I'm actually glad it happened, it made my mom stronger, it makes her work harder to make sure that we never have to go through that again. It also makes me want to succeed in life to make my mom proud and one day be able to say “mom I did this for you” and put the biggest smile on her face.

Now granted I still think about my past and what happened but I always think about the statement everything happens for a reason. If i hadn't gone through what I did, I wouldn't appreciate the little things that i have in my life now, I wouldn't be the person I am today. I believe that because everything happens for a reason we are who we are today.

Comments

  1. This is a really great reflection, and you have done an excellent job at taking a cliche and making it meaningful again. (I've often said that a cliche is only a cliche until you start believing in it.) I am also proud of you for stepping out onto these uncertain waters, trusting your classmates with this intimate information. It helps us to understand you as a whole person.

    You are comma splicing all over the place, which is a big grammatical nono. Look at this sentence:

    My mom fell in love with my sisters dad, I finally had a father figure in my life, my family finally had a strong support system until they went through a bad breakup.

    You have three independent clauses hooked together with only commas. You could make them all simple sentences, but that would be boring. Instead, use connector words to create relationships and correct the mechanics. I might make the first part subordinate, which links the parts of the sentence together more clearly.

    WHEN my mom fell in love with my sisters dad, I finally had a father figure in my life, AND my family finally had a strong support system until they went through a bad breakup.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Geography Reflection

Recently I was given the assignment to create a map that accuarately represents my life and at first I was hesitant on creating a map that include my whole life, even the bad parts but then I realized that all the negative aspects of my life make me who I am. So I created a map of my heart.. with a twist.
       I started off by drawing individual islands to form the shape of my heart and based off how much it impacted my life. The bigger and most impactful part of me is my "Family" and apart of that island I included the names of my family who mean the most to me.
    The second to biggest island that I drew was the island labeled "Abandonment". I called this island abandonment and included the names of my dad who left when I was a child and I also put past relationships and friendships. These aspects have really taken a toile on my heart and constantly remain in my heart.
   Another island that has a huge impact on me is God and I dedicated an island just for him.…

IB TOK PROMPT #1

What does it mean to say we know something?

The IB Learner Profile shows that there are many ways to be able to say we know something must, these include emotion, faith, memory, language, sense perception, initiation, imagination, and finally reason. As humans we use these as guidelines to say we know something.

For example, today we believe that the sky is blue, why? Most people would answer and say " well my parents told me that as a child" See that statement shows that the reason many humans know or believe things is because their parents instilled that information into them. This is a prime example of memory, because the person remembered what their parent told them as a child and how they still remeber it to this day.

 Many people use logic as a way of knowing things, like many believe that 2+2=4 for the simple fact that it makes sense, there's no possible other way for 2+2 to equal another number. Logic is a common way to say you know something because whatever mak…